Sunday, April 23, 2006

Craigmillar Castle

These pictures were taken on our recent excursion to Craigmillar Castle – just three miles southeast of Wee Gifford Park! Craigmillar is one of the finest preserved late medeival castles in Scotland, although it is overshadowed by its bigger brother in Edinburgh.

The earliest part of the castle was built in the early 15th century with later additions in the 16th and 17th centuries. It was sometimes used as a peaceful ‘get away’ residence for Mary Queen of Scots. It was here that the earl of Bothwell signed the infamous 'Craigmillar bond' with other nobleman that led to the murder of Queen Mary’s second husband, Lord Darnley.

On another note, the year before the Glorious Revolutation in 1688, a Presbyterian church was formulated on the premise of the castle. For more information about Craigmillar Castle, click here.


Post a Comment

<< Home